Friday, January 20, 2012

Gastronomical Disasters: Introduction

My background, Italian. (So that means I'm supposed to know something about food, right?)
My parents both cooked while I was growing up. I watched. I learned. I also ate a lot.
Their styles, both very different, both very good. Friends came by for meals all the time.
My mom liked to experiment with foods from different cultures.
My dad liked to put bacon bits on ice cream, while peddling on an exercise bike.
You could say that my notion of what is common, isn't very common.
When I was in my twenties I spent some time moonlighting as an extra on film sets.
Extras spend a lot of time socializing with other extras, and snacking at the craft table.
One of those days, while combining various edibles from the craft table, something came to me...
A name. The Eating Genius. It was given to me by a fellow extra who I worked with frequently.
He was flabbergasted with my creation and it's allure, and immediately cloned my bastardized food.
That name stuck with me, as did the concept of combing unconventional ingredients for consumption.

So... There is a point to all of that mumbo-jumbo-rambling.
Here it is! This is what's going to happen...

I'm going to start a web series where I take ingredients suggested by YOU (the followers), to conjure a dish or two, and then devour it (possibly with a brave guest) and then film the results. Will it be fantastic? Will it make me hurl? Who knows! All I know is that this is going to be a gastronomical disaster... Hell, if it goes as well as I would hope, I might even compile the successful recipes into a cook book, the Gastronomicon?

You know you want to contribute, so here are some basic rules.
1) Ingredients MUST be edible.
2) Ingredients must NOT be poisonous.

That about covers it! Throw me 3-5 ingredients, you can even suggest a theme.
I'm willing to explore, I'm adventurous.
I'm a Gastronaut.

&... Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment