Monday, July 8, 2013

Sometimes You Have To Let People Know They Suck

So, I was hired (or so I thought) for a full-time position on television show two weeks ago, after working for three days as a daily. I found out today that although I was told what the shooting schedule was in advance (to make sure I was available), that I was not actually needed for the show, and that I MIGHT get a phone call for a future episode if they needed anyone. I had booked off days from my part-time job to accommodate this production, as well as turned down some other work... So, having been struck with disappointment at the lack of communication, I wrote an email to the producers of the show...

***

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Michael Torelli. I was hired as a Production Assistant, but worked as a 3rd AD during the shoot days at 15 Fraser in Liberty Village. I enjoyed working on Hardcore Heroes very much, and was looking forward to coming back, which is what this email is in regards to.

I was incredibly disappointed after having a brief conversation with the Production Coordinator this morning regarding my being needed, or rather NOT being needed any further. The reason I was disappointed was that during the days I was on set I was told by the 1rst and 2nd AD's (in front of one of the producers) that I would be getting hired for the duration of the show because they were beyond satisfied with my help. Now, I can understand not being paid more than a PA rate while coming on board as a 3rd AD due to budget constraints, and I can understand that due to those same constraints that some people might not be required any further, but what I do not understand is why this was not communicated to me until I started asking questions as to why I didn't receive a call sheet. When I was told I was being hired for the duration of the show, I was told what the shooting schedule was going to be, and therefore not only booked days off from my part-time job for the next two shooting blocks (which has put me in some hot water with them), but I also turned down other film work to keep my commitment to this production. This has become a rather sizable inconvenience to my welfare, and "well, we'll keep you in mind if something comes up" is an unacceptable way to deal with such a disastrous lack of communication. In the past, I have been compensated by productions when such last minute changes occurred.

Having said all of that, I do not hold on to any hope that Hardcore Heroes will compensate me for dishonoring what I understood to be a verbal contract. In the future, I will be certain to protect myself from situations like this occurring again. I suppose I have Hardcore Heroes and Proper Television to thank for that. As producers, I thought it was important for you to know what happened, because the people you hire and the level of professionalism they show is a direct reflection on you.

Regards,

Michael Torelli


***

I received a phone call almost immediately after sending that email from one of the producers, who was absolutely livid with me. It turns out one of the people I emailed was the owner of the company, and my email was going to get some of the producers in huge amounts of shit. She was angry and apologetic, but mostly angry that I didn't contact her directly about the matter. She sounded shocked when I said I would write a follow-up apology...

***

I realize you have all just received an email from me which seemed to fully express my feelings regarding the events that took place, and I wanted to point out that albeit it true, I realize it was an emotional response on my part, and that the fault was in no way any of yours. Having gotten it off of my chest, I realize I may have created problems for people who are not deserving of them. So, I apologize if these emails in any way cause trouble for anyone, as my intentions were to simply make whoever should have been aware that AD's were telling people they were being hired, were made aware so that these miscommunications and unfortunate circumstances that have befallen me do not occur with anyone else.

Sincerely,

Michael Torelli


***

I then wrote a third email, but only to the female producer who was swearing at me on the phone, telling her that I didn't appreciate her calling me and swearing at me, and pointed out that I could have hung up on her and proceeded to write a much different follow-up letter to everyone that detailed my getting accosted for bringing to light a situation in which the only person truly inconvenienced was myself... She wrote back simply thanking me for the email, and that she appreciated what I did.

A note to anyone who is ever hired by means of a verbal contract... If you are ever hired verbally, be certain to send an email to whomever hired you, thanking them for the work, and highlighting the fact that you're going to be available for the days on which they have verbally hired you... This way, if they try to deny that verbal contract, they then have to explain why they didn't respond to your email to clarify that you weren't actually hired. Got that? Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment